So what's the forecast?

It's definitely feeling like fall - I woke up to 43 degree weather this morning. We have made a pledge to keep our heating bills down this year - so it's time to pull out the sweaters and the down comforters.

Back when Matt was still a news photog, he did a story once about people getting their furnaces fixed on the first cold day of the season. It sticks with me because I was in town the day he shot it, and I sat with him in the edit bay while he created the package.

If you've ever watched someone edit, it's meticulous, and thereby, repetitive. He kept hitting a sound bite, the last word of which was the interview subject saying, "chilly".

But it's the way that word dripped from his tongue like hot molasses, ending with a slight growl.

"Cheelleh."

I don't know - what I can tell you is that in the process of editing, I got to hear it a LOT.

To this day, we can't say the word chilly without invoking the interview subject's pronunciation.

There was a different editing session once that included the reporter asking this man driving an amphicar (part car/part boat) "How do you stop this thing?" That too has entered our glossary of terms, but you have to say it with that tinge of giddy panic, just like the reporter did. Emphasis on the word "stop".

I expect that every family has words that mean something to them and them alone. Par exemple - in my family, my late grandmother, Baba, was notorious for cruising a parking lot to get a decent space - ergo, we call a good spot "a baba". This has spread in usage to my brother-in-law's family, from what I hear. It works.

The other one that comes to mind is "sussy" - meaning a treat or a surprise. It's from Dad's family.

Matt and I like using the term "puny" to describe someone who is under the weather. That's not specific to us, I know, but it's not in wide usage these days.

As we would say in my family:

"Huh. Weird."

Stay warm! Don't get too...chilly.

Comments