Where do we begin?

When I need a little pick-me-up from the rigors of daily living, I find that show tunes offer a good cure.

In fact, they’re sort of the ultimate feeling of positive reinforcement.

When I was in Middle School, I came to a theory that at the beginning of most musicals – there is what I called “the complaint song” – a song that outlines the “problem” that will be resolved or at least, addressed within the confines of the show.

This theory isn’t exactly rocket science and of course, I came to learn that good stories have a conflict and resolution. At the time though, I thought I was a freaking wunderkind.

So anyway, the showtune has become my way of acknowledging challenges and assorted bullshit.

Specifically, I draw frequently from Avenue Q – and not just the complaint song - “It Sucks to be Me”, which features the following verse:

When I was little, I thought I would be/
A big comedian on Late-Nite TV/
But now I'm thirty-two and as you can see/
I'm not. Nope. Oh well/
It sucks to be me. It sucks to be me/
It sucks to be broke and unemployed/
And turning thirty-three/
It sucks to be me...

Maybe I'm revealing a little too much of myself with that one - it's great, but equally good are
"There’s a Fine, Fine Line” and the completely perfect “For Now”.

How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying? Well, from that show, my self-validation song is “I Believe in You”. Sung as often as needed. The day I resigned at Best Access, that played on the radio when I got in my car to go home. I sang that one a lot when I was at Imagination. My favorite lyric, “…and when my faith in my fellow man all but falls part – I’ve but to feel your hand grasping mine, and I take heart…I take heart.”

La Cage Aux Folles provides me the following affirmation, “Life’s not worth a damn, til you can say, ‘Hey world, I am what I am!’”

The two that keep coming to mind these past few days are from the same song in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee: “Life is random and unfair. Life is Pandemonium” and “Where do we begin? The best spellers don’t necessarily win.”

From Wicked: “It's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed, so it's very shrewd to be, very, very popular like ME!”

There are others I love – from Annie Get Your Gun – “I Got the Sun in the Mornin’ and the Moon at Night” – the Ethel Merman version, of course.

From Into the Woods, “I Know Things Now” and “Any Moment”.

From Caberet, “Don’t Tell Mama”.

Everything from Drowsy Chaperone and South Pacific…

I miss the Broadway Channel on Sirius – we gave that up last year – but Pandora does a good job replacing it. Although – for GOD’s sake – not everyone just loooooooves Phantom of the Opera and Rent. Sheesh!

That’s all. For now…

Everything in life is only for now.

Comments