Adios, August!

This is one month I’ll be glad to have behind me. Can I get a hallelujah? No? How about an “affirmative”? Word.

I know, I know – I brought it all on myself, but I am ready for a change, and I am more than ready to put August behind me.

The weather is starting to cool off a little – although, it may just be lulling us into a false sense of Fall. We won’t need actual jackets here until what, late October, early November?

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned before – I love fall. I like the cooler weather, the changing leaves. I love my birthday, Halloween and Thanksgiving. I love the crisp nights and mild afternoons. I even like the option of watching college football – not that I always do, but I like having the choice. It just makes me feel Autumnal. If there is football, can dinners of vegetable soup and cornbread be far behind?

I’m starting to fret the holidays this year for reasons too vast and silly to explain. Suffice it to say, there’s never any one way to make everyone happy. So this year, I’m not even going to try. I’m going to do what is best for Allison, and if anyone wants to see it my way, great. If not, they’ll have to work around that. Yeah, right. Who are we kidding - I think we all know I’ll be the pivot person – the one who accommodates all sides and ends up in a heap on New Year’s Day. At the very least, I’d like a few nice presents for Christmas. I’ll send you the IKEA catalog with pages dog-eared for easy shopping.

Matt and I are planning a little time away this fall – details to be determined – something where he can bike, I can sit out in the sun and read, and we can step outside of our daily grind for a bit. Any thoughts? We’re looking for inexpensive, bikeable, and fun. Although, I know we all interpret fun in different ways – so here’s what I’d like – quiet, cute shops, or museums or nice pedestrian friendly towns and a few interesting places to get a bite to eat. I have a few options. Barring that, I’d like somewhere tropical where my every need is attended to and I can get a great tan. Of course, that doesn’t really fall into the inexpensive category, does it?

Oh well. Life is, by its very nature, all about compromise.

Tonight, I’ll hit the Green Hills library to return some books, pick up a new one or so, and then off to Zumba, where I will impress people with the fact that I got winded on Sunday folding laundry. My mother keeps kindly and patiently reminding me that I just had a serious surgical procedure and can’t expect to be back at full throttle immediately. But I feel like I should be.

Wish me luck!

ae

Comments