Insult to Injury

I went to see my doctor Wednesday. I thought he was doing a post-tonsillectomy check-in, since at my last appointment, I kind of fell apart on him about my recovery. Turns out, he thought he was checking my blood pressure. Aaawkward. Turns out since he's the one giving shots, he's the one calling the shots.

So, basically, my blood pressure was a little higher than average, but not bad. He then reluctantly let me talk through my gustatory issues. I don’t know, it kind of felt like he cared, but only because I was making a co-pay. Twenty-five dollars worth of healthcare at a time, please.

Here’s the good news - there is no organic reason that I should be having the bitter metallic taste, the aversion/reaction to carbonated beverages, or what we’d call “taste disturbances”. Which is to say, it’s not like I have an infection or a tumor or anything treatable that we could do to alleviate my issues.

The bad news is, something very likely happened during surgery to cause this. It could have been with the depth of the tonsil made surgery more invasive and thereby caused trauma to my nerves, or they could have misjudged an injection site during anesthesia. Anyway something caused this little glitch. And there's no way of knowing what happend.

And now the real bad news. My doctor said that his professional advice was that I should assume that my condition is permanent and behave accordingly. Now, off the record, he told me I’d likely get most of my original taste back, but that it may take some time.

Meanwhile, I made hundreds and hundreds of cookies for my husband to take to work. I have no idea how they tasted. The ones I thought were awful ended up being everyone’s favorite. So, clearly, I have issues.

And to top it all off, I have another sore throat with a brain-rattling cough. So it's not like I have that "Well, at least you have fewer sore throats" bromide to lean on. Although the doc tested it and it isn't strep. And the Mucinex is making my stomach hurt. Or that may be the fact that in my shot at attempting an errand during lunch resulted in my inhaling my lunch as I stood in line to pay for it (a pre-packed sandwich, so it's not like I was stealing from a salad bar).

Well, so. Merry Christmas.

I know, I know – compared to 99% of the world, I’m sitting pretty.

Breathe deeply. Enjoy. Relax.


Fa la la la la, la la, la.....LAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ae

Comments

Erika said…
Ugh, what a drag this whole thing has been for you! I'm sorry you're still going through it.