Going Viral

So for the last few days I've been under the weather with a little gastric upset - think 24 hour virus that liked it so much, it stuck around for a long-weekend. A trip to my doctor's office this morning confirmed it's probably not a parasite, and should go away when it's good and ready. And if it doesn't go away by Monday, come back, pay another co-pay and we'll see what we can do.

The doctor also told me to go dairy-free til it does leave the building. In the 72 hours prior to seeing the doctor, all I had eaten was small portions of some combination of bread and cheese. A grilled cheese sandwich, a piece of string cheese and saltines, and last night, two cheese quesadillas from Las Palmas. Smooth move, Allison. Way to be counterintuitive.

We had lunch with our friends Steve and Natae at Mafiaoaza's this afternoon, and it was hard not to say, "Fuck it - I'll have two slices with pine nuts and bleu cheese." But you know, why go AMA (against medical advice) for the sake of cheese that's basically OD'd on penicillin? Especially when the doc also said that antibiotics would be ill-advised due to the fact that it can irritate the gut, so to speak.

That said, I ate some pasta for lunch, it was marvelous, and I will eat the rest for dinner. After lunch, we went to Las Paletas and I had a Pineapple with Chili popsicle. Because I can give up dairy, but the ability to try the pop that beat Bobby Flay's pop in Throwdown, well, duh! And anyway, the grapefruit and the blackberry wouldn't have been any gentler.

I really could eat a Paleta a day. Hmmm.

In other news, our trip to the vet this morning for Lola's annual was uneventful. Now that she's an older woman, she doesn't need every vaccination every year, but they are still hounding me about cleaning her teeth. We'll have to see.

The Preds are in the NHL playoffs and we're watching with white knuckles. Today they blew a lead with 13 seconds left in the game. It was painful. They lost in regulation overtime, and it was awful. They are behind 2 - 3 in the series against the Chicago Blackhawks. I'd love to see them kick ass and move on in the play-offs.

So a news item came out yesterday that Archie Comics is going to have a gay character. When I saw this headline, I thought to myself, "Please be Jughead!", but no luck. It's going to be an all-new character who beats Jughead in a hamburger eating contest (he can really handle his meat, apparently). Veronica falls for him, and he has to struggle with rebuffing her advances nicely. Veronica totally needs a fabulous gay friend, so I think this is a cool move on the part of Archie Comics. Full disclosure: I owned some Archie Underoos when I was a kid. They're underwear that's fun to wear.

And that's that. Off to take a peep at my Mafiaoza's leftovas.

Heh - see what I did there? Heh.

ae

Comments