In Blog We Trust

So I am what you might call unchurched, or a heathen.  Technically, I guess that if we got down to it, I'd have to say I'm a Secular Humanist, although - I don't belong to any society or have a badge or anything.

I think that it boils down to this - I try to be a good person because it's the right thing to do - not because I believe that I'm going to be judged for it at the Pearly Gates.

And I try, oh how I try to be tolerant of people who don't believe what I do, sometimes, it's tough.

Here's a for-instance.

I went to WW today, and I lost 1/5 of a pound.  I'll take it.  I've been mainlining salt, and constantly hungry.  So, you know - that's that.  Plus, I ate cake.  Twice.  And Indian buffet.  And M&Ms.  Totally f***ing worth it.

Point being, Irma (not her real name) was in Destin this week, so we had a sub - we'll call her Nancy.  Nancy lost her 20 pounds 20 years ago. Yawn.  She had a guest speaker with her.  The guest speaker, who I'll call Kelly came to tell us how she lost over 200 pounds over a 2 year period, and learned to be a "gym rat".

In and of itself, the story was really compelling.  What killed it for me is that God spoke to her at Henry Horton State Park and told her He would walk with her on this journey.  She talked about crying out to Jesus for help.

And I have no problem with that.  But then several people were crying, and "amen"-ing, and congratulating her on her testimony and I thought, you know, damn - can't I get my skinny on in an non-ecumenical setting?

I mean, I don't begrudge Kelly, and I think she did an awesome job, and loose skin aside, she looks amazing, and she's inspiring.  She needs Stacey and Clinton to go pants shopping with her, but you know,  it'll be fine.

But, I go to my weekly meeting to hear a leader read from a prepared topic, let people blah, blah about their challenges, get some advice on low point, tasty foods, or how to eat Italian without blowing it... I like that I can do that without feeling like I have to profess my faith or lack thereof.

I mean, Weight Watchers is my religion - can't we leave it at that?

And, yeah, I know - I'm going to Hell.  Which, if I believed in Hell, would be terrifying.

Comments