What I mean to say is...

Last night’s weigh-in was bad, but I kind of knew it would be – you cannot cheat the scale.  And more to the point, you cannot eat hot wings with reckless abandon and expect to see positive results.  See also: Eating Mexican the night before weigh-in.  Totally my bad.  On all counts.

I should also cop to the candy.  I’ve eaten some.  And not just the new Skinny Cow candy bars, which are delicious, yes – but I’ve eaten some “real” ones too.    And a few Little Debbie snack cakes.

Basically, it’s time to come clean and start anew.  I’ve eaten today:

2 Fat Free Hot Dogs
1 banana
1 piece of WW string cheese

I’m doing good.

All of this to preface last night’s meeting.  The topic was, “Are The Changes You’re Making Affecting Other People?”

Now, I love Weight Watchers, and I believe it works.  I think that the only place where it falls short is in dealing with the emotional issues that got us to the point where we needed to join Weight Watchers to lose the weight.

I’ve had about 5 different leaders, and none of them were/are standouts in this area – and Weight Watchers doesn’t equip them to be.

But this is one of those topics where we had the material to go really deep, but instead, we stayed well above the surface.

So, since I’ve had therapy, and I have a few free minutes, here’s my thoughts on that.

The biggest way I’ve affected other is in trying to feed them.  Since I can’t eat it, I’ll encourage you to have it.

Let’s look at this from a different angle…

I was having lunch with some friends last week and commented on a mutual friend who I admired for her openness.  They agreed that she was great and we moved on to talk about other things.

So, I’ll tie this together.

In lieu of being able to express emotions to people, I’ve been trying to feed them.  And it appears that right now, that means candy.

In the past six weeks, I’ve given candy on five separate occasions.  Instead of saying the following:

  • I want you to know that I am listening to you and want you to be happy.
  • I am glad you are my friend.
  • I want you to like me and think I’m nice.
  • I am proud of you and I support you.
  • Thank you for putting up with my crazy.  I have your back.

Because, let’s face it – people aren’t expecting any of those things from me.  They want the clown, not the poet.

That said, none of that is specific to joining WW.

If you were to ask 100 people who know me what’s the first word they’d use to describe me, I doubt any of them would use “sweet” or “nice”.

When it comes to sweet and nice, I let the Junior Mints do the work for me.

And that, if you must know, is how I would answer the topic of the week.

ae


Comments