I still ain't had no sleep.

So, as I think you know, I'm a huge Arlo Guthrie fan.  Ok, he's no Woody, but how hard would it be to live in that shadow? 

I had the distinct joy of seeing him last month at The Ryman, and it was AWESOME, and I loved it.

He sang two of my favorite of his songs - no, not Ring Around The Rosie Rag (which is about smoking dope), and not Alice's Restaurant.

Dig deeper, friends.

He did Highway in the Wind, which, I'd consider learning to play guitar so I could whip it out on camping trips and impress the shit out of people with my mad vocals.

I actually have a decent voice, a second alto with decent pitch, timbre and whatnot.  But living in Nashville, I'd be hard-pressed to call myself a singer.  Anyway, here's Highway in the Wind:



But that's not what I came to tell you about.

He also pulled out this gem, which I heard for the first time back in college when Arlo played it at the 40 Watt, and I fell in love.  To the point of using it in a writing class to adapt into a scene.  Which was terrible.  Really bad.  Actually, it was OK - but the teacher, Ralph, hated it - he didn't like a lot of my choices.  That class was about making bad choices, really.  It should have been Terrible Decisions 201H (Honors).  But that's again, not what I came to tell you about.

Here is, in honor of it being the Tenth of January, Arlo Guthrie's In My Darkest Hour:


Because this song is just beautiful.  And OK, Bob Dylan was the clear winner of Iron Chef: Battle Folk Music, but he's kind of a dick.  Whereas, Guthrie fils is a nice guy.  I have his autograph.  A special friend got it for me (see also, Terrible Decisions 201H).

Thankfully, I was able to dissect the memories of that class/that year from this song.  No, really.


Comments

The Ridger, FCD said…
Indeed, a helluva song. Thanks for the video.