Learning Curve

So, I've learned a few things in the last three months or so.  Allow me to share:

Grief isn't a tunnel - you don't just plunge in on side, power through and come out the other side tired but "better".   Grief is more like an obstacle course.  And that course may contain tunnels, but also barbed wire hurdles, monkey bars and other exhausting, hard things.

You cannot outrun grief.  Like most obstacle courses, some parts are going to be easier to get through than others, but you may find yourself at the rope climbing station just looking up at it and thinking, "Nope, no fucking way".




You would be surprised at who shows up and when on this obstacle course to help you. That's the weirdest part to me.  I'll be staring up at this damn rope, and someone I don't know all that well walks up with a ladder - they tell me they've done this course and they know how to help me.

Like any other sporting event, proper preparation is key.  Getting enough rest, eating right, and stretching are critical - so is hydration.  Surrounding yourself with the support team is also a good way to make your obstacle course smoother.  Massages and pedicures can help you recover from especially tough days on the course.

It's helpful to remember that even the shittiest obstacle course ends.  That's not to say that the occasional obstacle won't just pop up in daily life, but the grueling "Tough Griever" type stuff will end.

Speaking of insane courses - I have friends who do the Tough Mudder - they willingly pay to run through things called "The Arctic Enema", "The Dong Dangler", and "Electric Eel".

Because, apparently - they think it's fun.

Here's my idea of mud fun:



Happy rope climbing, everyone!

ae

Comments