Wherein I Make It About Me

About 15 years ago, David Cross had a bit in his routine where he talked about people who take on tragedies as though they were personal.  The example he gave was talking about someone working at the Las Vegas hotel New York, New York  on the day after 9/11.  I can't do it justice, but it was damn funny.

So even though it's funny, I'm about to do it in a big way.  This tragedy, this time... is personal.

I thought about this routine on Friday when I first read that a gunman had killed five people in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida Airport.  The way I found out is that a sorority sister of mine was reporting that she was there and safe.  And presumably terrified.

Here's the thing.  I travel.  I travel a lot.  And that could have been me.  It could have been her. It almost was.

There are so many angles to this story.  One, TSA isn't fool proof, two, maybe we shouldn't even allow guns in checked bags.  Or guns, OK - ammo, nope.  And maybe we shouldn't let people who have had their gun seized by police get that gun back.  And maybe we need to pay more attention to the mental health of the people who come home from protecting our country.

What I know is that five people who were just going about their own business on Friday died.

And while my thoughts and prayers are with their families, thoughts and prayers DON'T STOP BULLETS.

So, you know... I'm getting on a plane tomorrow.  And while I've stopped looking forward to travel in general, I want you to know this trip... I'm really worried about.

Although, because something JUST happened, maybe we'll be on heightened alert.

Maybe the trip I should worry about is four months away, or three years... or never.

Maybe.

ae

Comments